Blog Your Way to Social Media Stardom
Or at least they do it for a while.
Then the blogger runs out of topics, moves to a new job, or just gets bored with the whole thing. The blog fades into obscurity, and the business owner figures all the other social media “stuff” will take up the slack.
They all say your blog should be your “online home,” and social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn should be “outposts” – the places you have a presence. A strong blog following adds to your Search Engine rankings, and to your social media presence.
Your blog should be given priority for three reasons:
- Old articles are still read years later, and are thus given long life by the search engines. Old tweets, Bullas says, “live in archive purgatory where a majority will never be seen again.”
- Each blog post contributes to the cumulative results of your site. This is not so for Twitter or Facebook.
- Social Media sites are tools to share content. Use them to attract subscribers to your blog. Focus your community building efforts on creating a blog people actually want to read.
Follow these tips to get on the road to Social Media Stardom:
- Blog regularly – at least once a week.
- Make it visual – images make things more understandable, and can increase recall by up to 89%.
- Use a conversational, personal style. Use first person, tell stories, avoid “lectures.”
- When you motivate your reader, you create action. Ask thought-provoking questions, or activities that involved both sides of the brain. Our brains pay attention to things that are out of the ordinary.
- Design your content to elicit an emotion. People remember things they care about – things they feel.
- Solve a problem that is common to your customers or prospects. Leave the sales talk to someone else.